If you are looking for a dog treat that is tasty but low in calories, these candied yam dog treats might be just what you’ve been looking for. All you have to do is slice up some yams and soak them for a few hours then bake them until tender. Feel free to try this recipe out with other root vegetables like carrots or turnips.
This dog treat recipe comes to us from CertaPet. Images: Kate Barrington
Candied Yam Dog Treats
Yield: About 2 cups
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 3 to 4 hours
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large yams, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Combine the water, honey, orange juice and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk the ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
- Spread the sliced yams in a shallow dish and pour the sauce over them.
- Toss to coat then let the yams soak for about 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- Spread the yam slices on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 3 to 4 hours until the slices are dried out and tender.
- Allow the candied yam dog treats to cool completely, then store them in an airtight container.
If you do not want to use your regular oven to bake these candied yam treats, you can also use a dehydrator. Simply arrange the yam slices on the dehydrator trays and dehydrate at the lowest temperature until the slices are tender and dried.